Monday, June 21, 2021

Crocce VS Crocken: Who Does Fried Chicken Better Here in Cordoba?

If you haven't been reading my blog over the years, then you probably don't know that my husband and I are addicted to fried chicken. And no one does it better than Kentucky Fried Chicken. Unfortunately, the only city in Argentina with a KFC is Buenos Aires. 

Kentucky Fried Chicken Argentina
Kentucky Fried Chicken Argentina

Over the last nine years we have not been able to make it home for a visit (or some KFC) mainly because of our budget. But we have traveled to the Argentine capital several times and treated ourselves to some fried chicken. But with the pandemic making it difficult and in some cases risky to travel, we've been stuck in Cordoba City without access to any decent fried chicken.


A while back, they had two restaurants here in Cordoba City that had passable fried chicken. One of them was American Fried Chicken and the other was Chicken Bros (which later became Chilling Brothers). Unfortunately, both restaurants went out of business a while back.

But we noticed that a couple of fried chicken places popped up in our Instagram suggestions recently and decided to check them out.


The first one was Crocce, a delivery-only location that's open from 8 pm to Midnight Fridays through Sunday and offer 8 and 12-piece buckets of fried chicken, as well as Arabian and Argentine empanadas, breaded steak sandwiches (milanesa sandwiches), burgers, and some desserts. So, we decided to order an 8 piece bucket to try them out and see if they compared to KFC's fried chicken.

Crocce fried chicken in Cordoba, Argentina
Well, the most painfully obvious thing we noticed was that the entire bucket fit in the palm of one hand and that the fried chicken pieces were nothing more than tiny pieces of breaded breasts and wings. So, if you're expecting portions as big as the ones at KFC, you're in for some disappointment. But don't rule Crocce out just yet.

Crocce fried chicken in Cordoba, Argentina

The pieces, while small were still pretty good. In fact, we've ordered from them more than once. Sometimes, we've even ordered their breaded steak sandwiches and their Arabian and Argentine empanadas to mix things up a bit.

Crocce in Cordoba, Argentina
Argentine empanadas on the left. Arabian empanadas on the right from Crocce
Argentine empanadas on the left. Arabian empanadas on the right.
Crocce milanesa sandwich
Crocce milanesa sandwich

If I had one complaint to make about Crocce is that they wrap their food in a type of wax paper that smells awful. The only way to describe the smell is like some form of burning earwax. So, if you're in Cordoba and you order from them, get rid of the wax paper right away before it ruins the taste of your meal. Other than that, I would highly recommend Crocce. But what about Crocken?


Well, what can I say about Crocken? Hm... give me a second. I'm trying to be nice here. Okay, fine. I can't. I'm tapping into my inner Simon Cowell and saying that it's a no for me.


Crocken was so bad that I didn't even bother to take a photo of my order. You can check out their Instagram page here, place an order and judge for yourself. They too serve meager sized fried chicken, chicken wings and chicken tenders, all of which we tried. Unfortunately, the breading on the chicken tenders fell apart before we even grabbed one. Also, the chicken wings had so much fat and skin on them that it felt like I was biting into a lump of warm flesh. And as far as the fried chicken pieces themselves, they were small and bland. In fact, they were so bland that I thought I had contracted Covid. I couldn't taste anything. I'm not kidding. I got so nervous that I literally ran into the fridge and stuck a piece of candy in my mouth to make sure. It turns out that there was nothing wrong with my taste buds. The chicken simply sucked.


So, yeah. The truth hurts, but there it is.


I'm sure there are other fried chicken places out there in Cordoba City that we haven't discovered yet. I'm not even sure if they'll ever be as good as KFC. But for now, I would say that Crocce is pretty decent when it comes to fried chicken, and the customer service is really great, too.

Crocee fried chicken in Cordoba, Argentina

Oh and before I forget. If you're searching for fried chicken in Argentina, the locals call it pollo broaster.