Thursday, August 29, 2024

A Taste of Home: My Birthday Surprise with Lucky Charms in Argentina

I turned 47 this year, and let me tell you, it’s not easy to look like I’m in my late 30s without surgery or digital filters. A touch of skin cream and a good dye job certainly help, though! This year, my husband decided to give me a very special gift. No, it wasn’t a diamond ring or a chateau in Europe (neither of us could afford those luxuries), but what he got me was truly special to me.

Lucky Charms!

Lucky Charms

Now, hang on! I know what you’re thinking: "He got you cereal? What’s the big deal? It’s just a box full of sugar, calories, and carbs that you can buy at any store." Well, let me stop you right there. First of all, Lucky Charms has vitamins too—it says so right on the box. Second of all, Lucky Charms is one of several common cereal brands that are not sold in Argentine supermarkets. The last time I had a bowl of my favorite cereal was in 2012, just days before we took a plane and started our new life in Argentina. We haven’t been back to the States since, which means no Lucky Charms have touched these lips in over 12 years… until now.

Lucky Charms

How? You ask.

Distributors. More specifically, a distributor called Tomodachi Asian Food. As the name suggests, this company imports a variety of Asian products that are not commonly sold in Argentina. But they also offer a ton of food products from the States, too.

At first, I wasn’t sure how they managed it. Then I noticed that the Lucky Charms box was in Spanish, and the label on the back suggested it came from Chile. Maybe it’s easier to import directly from Chile than from the United States. I don’t know, and I don’t care. What matters most is that I was able to enjoy the magical taste of Lucky Charms once again.

Lucky Charms

But that’s not all.

A few weeks before my birthday, my husband and I ordered a few other items from Tomodachi Asian Food. The most notable among them was Kraft Mac and Cheese, which is also not commonly sold in Argentine supermarkets.

Kraft Mac & Cheese

Dr Pepper Cream Soda
Mike and Ike Megamix
Rice Krispies Treats Rainbow
Jelly Belly Holiday Favorites
M&M Fudge Brownie
Jolly Ranchers Gummies
Rocky Mountain Marshmallows
Tomodachi Asian Food

Distributors like Tomodachi and Kiosko 21 in Buenos Aires make it much easier to buy American food items like Pop-Tarts and Halloween-themed Oreo cookies. The prices, as you’ll see on their sites, might make you do a double take. After all, who wants to spend close to 80,000 Argentine pesos on cookies? But if you’re really craving a taste of home, you might just be willing to fork over the extra pesos. Besides, it won’t cost you nearly as much if you happen to have USD. So, check out what they have when you get a chance. I’ve hyperlinked the names of these places so you can just click and buy.

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment