Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Here’s How Argentina’s Import Restrictions are Affecting Businesses

A couple of months back, a power surge damaged my PC, so I called the nearest electronic repair shop. That’s when I realized my problems were a lot bigger than I thought.

The company that I had taken my PC and other gadgets in for repair for nearly 10 years told me that they couldn’t help me anymore.

It’s not that they didn’t want to. It’s that they couldn’t. They claimed that there were import restrictions in Argentina making life impossible for business owners. As a result, they didn’t have the spare parts required to replace the damaged components in my PC.

These import restrictions were news to me! I've been to the mall. I've seen electronic stores selling flatscreen TVs and laptops. I had no idea there was a shortage in anything. 

So, I asked them if it was possible to order the parts from Buenos Aires, since they usually have more of everything. They clarified that the entire country was facing a shortage in electronic supplies and had no way of replenishing their stocks beyond their own borders.

I knew things had gotten pretty bad in Argentina, but I never imagined they had gotten this bad.  Regardless, I needed my PC repaired because of work and for entertainment purposes. So, I took my PC to another repair shop. The technician there claimed he could get my PC up and running.

I figured that as long as I was there that I would get him to upgrade my PC. Adding a DVD ROM, some extra RAM, a better processor and a video game card was on the top of my list. But that’s when the tech guy told me the same thing the other electronic repair shop had.

He said he tried ordering the parts online. He even attempted to order from Argentina’s neighboring country of Chile, but couldn’t get the parts delivered either.

As it turns out, spare parts for PCs aren’t the only thing these import restrictions are affecting.

The hubs and I have been trying to buy games for our Nintendo Switch. Since it’s a legit device and not the hacked bootleg versions sold in Argentine stores, the console requires a legit game cartridge. Argentine bootleg games won’t work on our device. So, we started looking everywhere for legit games, which they once had down here.

Nothing!

Again, I asked around and was told that they can’t get anything legit because of the import restrictions. Luckily, we can still buy the digital games from the Nintendo store. But it doesn’t end there.

An acquaintance of mine told me that mechanics in Argentina are having a tough time getting the necessary supplies to repair cars, especially parts for foreign vehicles.

I have no idea how this situation is going to pan out, but I’m hoping things will change for the better at some point. In the meantime, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that none of my other devices will blow a fuse. Otherwise, I might not be able to repair or replace them.

No comments:

Post a Comment