Monday, December 23, 2019

Trixie American Diner in Buenos Aires Couldn't Get Our Order Right

The lines at the Argentina Comic-Con were super long, and we didn't feel like waiting in the hot sun. So, we went to the Trixie American Diner in Costa Salguero. The diner can make anyone feel like they've traveled back to the 1950s.
The bar with the stools reminded me of the scene where Marty McFly met his dad George in "Back to the Future." Suffice it to say, the 1950s theme, the jukeboxes, waitress uniforms, and pretty much everything else had us sold. We loved the place, but would the food blow us away?
We looked at the menu, which had tons of American style food items. I was tempted to try the New York Breakfast which offered the kind of stuff you'd expect at iHOP. The scrambled eggs, bacon and pancakes were tempting, but for some reason, I had forgotten it was 11 a.m. and ordered us two margaritas. Hey! Don't judge! It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
And then I saw an option for an apple pie. In the last seven years, we haven't had a decent slice of apple pie. So I decided to order that instead. But what I got was a plate with two overly toasted waffles and an ice cream scoop on top. I was very disappointed. I convinced myself that they wouldn't know the difference between an apple pie and waffles if it walked up and shook their hand. My husband was like, maybe you should complain. And I'm like, yeah, and then maybe they can do something disgusting to my order. No thanks. 
Afterwards, we headed to the Comic-Con, but decided to give Trixie another try the next day. I ordered the apple pie again and a bagel, while my husband ordered French Toast. This time, the waitress did bring me an actual slice of apple pie. It definitely wasn't anything remotely similar to an apple pie from back home. Where was the crust? Why were the apples cut into thin slices and stacked together like this? Then I was like, oh well, beggars can't be choosers.
The bagel with cream cheese was okay, but it certainly didn't meet up with the standards of a decent bagel back home.
I also found iced tea on the menu. Since we can't find any in Cordoba City, I ordered it. The closest thing we had to Lipton Iced Tea here was FuzeTea, but I haven't seen that in years. But I like my ice tea to taste sweet. If I wanted cold unsweetened tea, I would just make it at home. Trixie's version of iced tea was blah, but I managed to save it by adding tons of sugar packets to it.
As far as the French Toast was concerned, it was just a slice of bread dipped in batter, coated in honey or maple syrup and sprinkled with powdered sugar. I know. I know. That's technically what French Toast is. But I guess we're just too spoiled. In the States, you could order French Toast and the slices are three times the size of the one we got at Trixie. Plus, it doesn't like a wet rag on a plate like this did.
So all in all, the food at Trixie failed to impress us, but that didn't stop us from enjoying the rest of our trip. I'll talk a bit about what we did in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment