Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Celebrating New Year 2014 Abroad

2013 was a crazy year for me! With Zach’s help, I was able to get my U.S. education validated so I could enroll at the public university in Cordoba (UNC). We were able to make Zach a permanent resident of Argentina, which was a huge relief for us. I started going to therapy at the public hospital, and they provided me with medication to handle my social anxiety and depression. I took two incredible trips to the capital city of Buenos Aires and had a chance to eat at T.G.I.F., Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Wendy’s. I boarded a train for the first time in Argentina, which was an experience in itself. I’ve made some amazing expat and Argentine friends. I celebrated my second Thanksgiving since moving to Argentina. Fortunately, this one was way better than last year's. I’ve gone on a diet and lost 8 kilos (17.5 pounds more or less). 

I’ve also had to deal with some bad stuff too.  I’ve watched as my relationship with my "cousins" turned toxic and emotionally abusive. I was also recently a victim of a judicial officer in Cordoba, who came looking for a previous tenant, and turned irate with me and ripped the U.S. passport from my hand when I tried proving to him that I wasn’t the man he was looking for. He shouted racial slurs about Americans and threatened to arrest me. That, to say the least, was not fun at all.

However, the most painful of all changes in my life has come from having to end my marriage. Even though I saw it coming for months, maybe even longer than that, I don’t think my heart was prepared for it. Worst of all, there aren't too many moments where I'm okay; only moments, which don't hurt quite so much.

I've been reconsidering a lot of things lately. First of all, I’m thinking of getting my own apartment, but that’s going to cost money. As grateful as I am for the freelance writing job I get from my handler, Ben, the assignments don’t always come on a consistent basis. Once I can secure something more stable, I will definitely start saving up for a move. I’m also considering waiting till I graduate from college before moving back to the States in approximately six years. It’s nothing personal against Argentina, but I just don’t feel like I belong here. Who knows, I might change my mind once I start college.

Despite a lot of tension earlier in the month (My folks threatened to throw us both out into the street), Zach and I were invited for New Year’s Eve dinner at my parent’s house.
My dad made goat, which I’m not a fan of, but he also added sausages, steak, and pork to the mix. It was a really nice meal and we took some wonderful pictures. This New Year’s Eve celebration was better than the last because at least now, Zach was here with me
Afterwards, we headed outside to watch the fireworks at the stroke of midnight, just like we had on Christmas Eve. 
 
Then we headed back to the house and had some Sidra, which is like champagne, to toast to 2014. 
I’m not sure what 2014 will bring, but I’m hopeful for a new beginning, better luck at the university, more money, more traveling, and more friends to add to the already amazing group I have, both here and in the U.S.
I’d like to wish a Happy New Year to all of my readers from around the world. Thanks to you, my blog has had over 15,000 hits. You’re all amazing! 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Roy! Happy New Year to you as well, and Zacsi, Sam, Robert, and Chewy as well.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear your bad experiences. All the best for 2014

    ReplyDelete