Sunday, December 16, 2012

Reasons You Need Apostilles In Argentina And How To Get Them

Apostilles legalize foreign documents like birth certificates, marriage licenses, high school diplomas, College Diplomas, student transcripts, and background checks. I highly recommend that you get apostilles for all of your documents, and have them notarized in your home country before coming to Argentina. You will need them if you want to apply for residency, attend a university, and possibly work. Without an apostille, your documents are worth less. 

When I first started searching for ways to get apostilles for my documents, I was hoping to find a U.S. company that could handle everything, and then send the documents back to me through UPS or FedEx. Unfortunately, this would have been too expensive. Most agents who handle Apostilles enjoy taking advantage of an expats' desperate situation. 

Where To Get An Apostille 
In the U.S., you can acquire an apostille by going to city hall. At most, you'll spend 50 U.S. dollars per document, if that. But you'll have to get your documents notarized before getting an apostille. 

What Happens If You're Not In Your Native Country 
If you're already living in a foreign country, you can send an affidavit authorizing a family member, like a spouse, to act on your behalf in order to get your apostilles and have your documents notarized. Keep in mind that the affidavit must be notarized and legalized before sending it abroad through UPS or FedEx. 
Can't I Get An Apostille From A U.S. Embassy? 
U.S. embassies will not provide apostilles. 
What To Do Afterwards 
Once you have successfully gotten apostilles for your documents, you'll need to have them translated and legalized in Argentina before presenting them to immigration, potential employer, or university you're enrolling in. 

In Conclusion 
I cannot stress enough the need to avoid agencies that want to charge you 88 dollars, 200 dollars, or 300 dollars to put an apostille per document. Be wary of agencies that feed on your fear. If you feel that you have no other choice and need to get this done immediately, then by all means, use an agency. In the United States, UPS can do it for 188 dollars per documents and charges 300 dollars. With a little luck, you won't have to send your loved one back to the States a few weeks before the holiday like I'm going to have to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment