Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Why I Decided to Leave The United States

American expats in Argentina

From the time I was just a baby, my life has been a whirlwind of movement and change. It all began when my family relocated from San Juan, Argentina, where I was born, to Mendoza. A few years later, we made another move to Cordoba, my mother’s hometown. Then, with a sense of adventure, we embarked on a journey to the United States to start anew. However, our plans quickly shifted, and within a week of arriving in Miami, we found ourselves settling in Franklin, Tennessee, for about a year before returning to Miami, Florida.

Most of my childhood was spent in Miami, but it felt like we were constantly on the move, hopping from one neighborhood to another – from South Dade to North Dade to Hialeah, and so on. Amidst all this, my parents transitioned from U.S. residents to Naturalized citizens, and they ensured that I followed suit. Though the paperwork from the INS certified my U.S. citizenship, I had long felt like an American at heart, having spent most of my formative years in the States.

By the time I reached 21, our family had settled in Central Florida, marking the start of yet another chapter in my life. However, as time passed, circumstances changed. My parents decided to return to Argentina for their retirement, while I found myself deeply entrenched in my life in the U.S., having found love and chosen to stay behind.

Unfortunately, challenges arose. Financial struggles coupled with personal losses shook my stability. Yet, in the face of adversity, I sought change once more and made the bold decision to move to New York City, believing in the city’s reputation for realizing dreams. However, reality hit hard. Despite my best efforts, the cost of living proved daunting, and job layoffs added to the strain. Eventually, my spouse and I had to move in with his family to weather the storm.

While the situation was far from ideal, a lifeline emerged from my family in Argentina. With their generosity, we were offered a home of our own—a beacon of stability in uncertain times. Reluctantly, but with no better alternative, we accepted the offer and prepared for a significant transition.

Leaving behind the United States, a place I had called home for most of my life, was not a decision I made lightly. The U.S. had shaped my identity, provided opportunities, and filled my life with countless memories. Yet, faced with the need to secure our future, I knew I had to embrace this new chapter in Argentina, a country I left behind as a child.

The road ahead is unknown, filled with challenges of adapting to a new culture, laws, and way of life. However, I approach this journey with a sense of resilience and determination. On June 17th, 2012, I bid farewell to the United States, embarking on a new adventure in Argentina. This marks the beginning of a new chapter, and I am ready to embrace whatever lies ahead.


To Be Continued in…

2 comments:

  1. It will be tough, but like everything else, you will learn to adapt. Don't know about Cordoba, but Mendoza is nice. People drink mate one hundred times a day, everything shuts down from one to four and people generally go to sleep the siesta.

    From what I understand, Cordoba is more cosmopolitan and will remind you of San Diego, California. As Americans, we are spoiled. I have found that during my six visits to Argentina, calling the US will cost you mucho bucks, eating meat daily is normal, and electrical appliances will cost you a fortune. But you will be fine.

    Can't wait to continue hearing about your adventures.

    I miss you already. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment. Yes. I've taken the liberty of browsing some of the Argentinian stores websites. The electronics are insanely expensive because of the import taxes.

      Bonus ... my folks told me that there is a Walmart not too far from the house I'll be living in. Let's hope they honor the same low prices down there that we have in the States.

      Delete