Friday, October 26, 2012

Can Immigrants Get Deported From Argentina?

For nearly four months, I’ve been trying to get the FBI to send over a background check for my spouse, who is a born American citizen, but the FBI is picky when it comes to fingerprinting done in a foreign country. I’ve heard horror stories from other expats who have had their background check request rejected simply because there was a tiny smudge on the fingerprint card.

At this point, I knew there was no way I could get all the paperwork done successfully before my spouse's visa expired. So I went to the immigration center in Cordoba for suggestions on what to do. The first person we spoke to was a jerk who suggested that we pray. Then we spoke with another, much kinder immigration official who assured us that there is absolutely no deportation law in Argentina. She laughed when I told her that I feared that a white van would come to our house to take my spouse and deport him. She told me that Argentina is not the United States and they don't treat immigrants this way. The only time that Argentina would ever consider deporting someone who is illegal is if he or she commits a crime.

This was a great relief for us because it gave us more time to get all the paperwork from the United States done.

Please keep in mind that you are only given two visas (prorrogas) per entry to Argentina. After the second visa expires you are technically illegal and cannot work or study until you petition and are approved for residency or you leave the country and re-enter.


  1. Hola,
    una duda, ustedes estan casados, no? Argentina ahora mismo acepta el matrimonio gay. Eso no le transfiere automaticamente la ciudadania y el derecho a permanecer en el pais a tu esposo?

  2. Nos casamos en Nueva York. Pero para que lo reconozcan en Argentina, require un apostillo de los Estados Unidos. No lo teniamos. Lamentablemente, en Argentina, no lo hace automaticamente un ciudadano pero lo ayuda para conseguir su residencia. De la unica manera que se puede hacer uno residente en Argentino es siendo estudiante, trabajando (con una visa), estando casado con un ciudadano argentine, o teniendo un hijo/hija argentino/a. Si no tenes esto te, no te pueden deportar pero tampoco podes trabajar o hacer mucho cuando se te expire la visa de turista. Tenes facebook? Mandame un mensaje privado por google+ si podes y yo te digo como encontrarme en facebook. Te puedo decir como podes hacer las cosas para la residencia con mas detalle.