Monday, October 29, 2012

A Sandstorm Blows Through Cordoba, Argentina

As New York City (my former home) braces for Hurricane Sandy, I have been experiencing an unexpected (but minor) sandstorm here in Cordoba. I'm told that this tends to happen when the southern winds blow north through the country.

It's a very interesting experience. Most motorcyclists and pedestrians find it difficult to see because the sand gets in their eyes. Hopefully, this is a rare occurrence. I'm still getting used to the fact that it's getting warmer when it should be getting cooler in October.

If you're ever visiting Cordoba and you find yourself in the middle of a sandstorm, take shelter inside a store until it passes. It won't take long, and it's certainly not much of a threat unless you get so much dust in your eyes that you wander into oncoming traffic. If you choose to walk home then I recommend that you shield your eyes and keep your mouth closed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment