Monday, November 26, 2012

Shopping in Cordoba, Argentina

One of my favorite past times in the States was shopping. Even if I didn't buy anything, window shopping was always soothing to me. But I knew I wasn't going to be able to find the same stores in Cordoba. So, the question remained, would Argentina meet my shopping expectations? 

It turns out that Cordoba has a wide variety of shopping centers in the area known to the locals as Cordoba Capital (Cordoba City). So, I decided to explore the downtown area (El Centro) and see if I could find some of the things I liked. 
As a Sci-Fi fan and collector, comic books and action figures are a big deal, which is why I was so happy to find Crossover Comics. It's located in Av. Gral Paz 174 Local 5. Unfortunately, the comic books are in Spanish, so I guess I won't be buying too many of those in here. But they do have action figures, which are cool, but pricey. 
If you're in Plaza San Martin, you'll find that the Paseo de las Flores (Path of the Flowers) is the entrance to a vast labyrinth of strip malls. You can find just about anything here, including restaurants, McDonalds, bookstores, DVD stores, clothing stores and more. 
As long as you're walking around you might as well enjoy some of the beautiful architecture. Unfortunately, that's about all you'll do if you happen to visit Paseo de las Flores on the weekend. They're not too big on making local shop owners work on Saturday and Sunday, which is a shame, because that's when they'd make the most money. 
If you're looking for a bookstore that's similar to Waldenbooks or Borders, try Yenny. It has the same setup with books (all in Spanish) and a modest selection of DVDs and Blu-Ray DVDs. 
Some stores do have a small selection of books in English, but most of them are romance novels.
Falabella is a bit like Sears. You can find things like electronics, kitchen appliances, clothes, toys, and even a small selection of international food like Peter Pan Peanut Butter.
Of course, if you're looking for a good old-fashioned mall, then I recommend Patio Olmos, which contains a food court, a movie theater, a bowling alley and all types of stores. 
They're a bit stingy with the air conditioner though. As of this post, it's almost summer, and it's hot! So, I asked a security guard, who wanted to remain anonymous, why the mall didn't lower the temperature, and he replied that the mall doesn't keep things too cool for two reasons:

  • It keeps their electricity bill low 
  • It stops people from using the mall as a shelter to stay away from the heat (Ouch!) 

The food court has a variety of cafe's, traditional Argentine food, as well as a McDonald's and Burger King. 
When it comes to buying groceries, you have several places to choose from. There are mom and pop convenience stores in every neighborhood, but if you need more variety, you can visit some amazing supermarkets, like Vea, Libertad, Carrefour, Disco, and of course, Walmart. Here's an interior look at some of the supermarkets in Cordoba. 
 I know I've mentioned this in a previous entry, but if you happen to be in Cordoba and you're craving coffee from Starbucks, then you're in luck. It's located in Avenida Colón 608. 
I hope you've enjoyed the pictures, and the info, and that you find some of it useful in your visit or integration as an expat. Please rate or comment if you have a chance, so I don't feel like I'm writing to myself. ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment